Simsbury Little League
Spring Umpire Registration: Registration for the 2021 season is CLOSED.
All new and returning umpires in 12th grade and below are required to pass the online quiz. You need to get at least an 80% grade to pass and can retake it as necessary.
Returning grade school umpires are required to attend one refresher clinic.
First year and second year umpires are required to attend the District 6 Umpire training.
Every two weeks umpires provide their availability for upcoming games for the divisions they are eligible to umpire. Each umpire is generally assigned 1-3 games every 2 weeks depending on the size of the umpire pool and number of games. Every two weeks the links will become available for umpires to provide their availability.
The SLL Umpire program is composed of both youth and adult umpires. Umpires must be baseball age 12 during the spring season of the current year to be eligible to become an umpire. The fall season is umpired by the spring season eligible umpires. No new umpires are used for the fall season.
The schedules for all umpire assignments will be posted on the website under the UMPIRE ASSIGNMENTS tab.. Click HERE to view the latest schedules.
Training – Classroom & Field (Spring season only)
Rookies: Rookie umpires receive training at the beginning of the spring season through participation in an umpire clinic for Simsbury Little League umpires. They will also receive on-field training before the season starts. Rookie umpires begin the first year umpiring AA games as both plate and base umpires.
Returning Umpires: Returning umpires must attend a classroom clinic each year.
COVID-19 Backup Umpire Process
Due to COVID19, we are only using one umpire per game. In order to protect against late umpire cancellations or no-shows, a backup umpire will be assigned and compensated as follows:
- The role of “backup” will be assigned to one umpire on the days AAA and Majors baseball, and Majors and Juniors softball play
- There will be no backups for AA baseball or AAA softball. If the umpires don’t show, coaches will call the game
- The backup must show up 20 minutes early just like the other umpires
- If there is an umpire for each game, he or she can go home, but will still be paid $15 for showing up
- Before leaving, write the word “BACKUP” at the top of the umpire voucher form, and have any manager sign it, along with the managers printed name
- If a regularly scheduled umpire does not show up, the backup umpire will stay and call the game and get paid the normal rate
- Bring backup vouchers to pay day along with regular vouchers, and receive $15 each
Chuck Minor and Tom Vincent are the umpires-in-chief and can be reached by email:
All umpires age 16 and older are required to complete an online background check. Please email Julie Trythall (
) for the link.